Army sergeant wants to plead guilty in Georgia base shootings that injured 5
Tax Law
An Army sergeant accused of shooting and wounding five co-workers at a southeast Georgia base last summer is seeking to plead guilty to attempted murder and other charges in a military court, Army prosecutors said Thursday.
Authorities say Sgt. Quornelius Radford, 28, used a personal handgun to open fire on members of his supply unit at Fort Stewart in August. Gunfire injured four soldiers and a civilian worker, who was Radford's romantic partner, before bystanders disarmed and restrained the sergeant, according to prosecutors.
A military judge scheduled Radford to stand trial by court-martial in June after Radford pleaded not guilty last fall to 13 criminal counts: six counts of attempted murder, six counts of aggravated assault and a count of domestic violence. Prosecutors say there were six total victims, including a person Radford shot at and missed.
Now Radford is seeking to plead guilty to a reduced set of charges, according to the Army's Office of Special Trial Counsel, which is prosecuting Radford.
It said in a news release Thursday that Radford's attorneys told a military judge last week that Radford wants to plead guilty to two counts of attempted murder, three counts of aggravated assault and one count of domestic violence.
Radford's lead defense attorney, Lt. Col. Dylan Mack, did not immediately respond to an email message seeking comment.
The Army's online court docket shows Radford's plea status was changed from "not guilty" to "guilty plea" ahead of his next scheduled court hearing March 31. That's when the judge plans to consider Radford's plea change, prosecutors said.
Army prosecutors said they haven't negotiated a plea deal with Radford, meaning he would still face a possible life prison sentence if a military judge accepts his guilty plea.
Authorities haven't offered a suspected motive for the shootings. Radford has been held in pretrial confinement since his arrest.
The largest Army post east of the Mississippi River, Fort Stewart is home to thousands of soldiers assigned to the 3rd Infantry Division. It is located about 40 miles (64 kilometers) southwest of Savannah.
Radford served as a supply sergeant in the division's 2nd Armored Brigade. Army records show he enlisted in 2018.
On Aug. 6, soldiers in Radford's unit followed the sound of gunfire into the hallways of an office building where they found hazy gun smoke in the air and wounded victims on the floor and in nearby offices.
Brig. Gen. John Lubas, the 3rd Infantry's commander, credited soldiers with saving lives by immediately rendering first aid, in some cases using their bare hands to stanch bleeding from gunshot wounds.
Army Secretary Dan Driscoll visited Fort Stewart the day after the shootings to award Meritorious Service Medals to six soldiers who helped restrain the gunman and treat the victims.
Related listings
-
Court: Drug users can be jailed for relapsing on probation
Tax Law 07/11/2018In a case that has attracted national attention, Massachusetts' highest court ruled Monday that judges in the state have the authority to order people to remain drug free as a condition of probation and under some circumstances order a defendant jail...
-
Court blocks 'millionaire tax' question from state ballot
Tax Law 06/18/2018Massachusetts' highest court on Monday struck down a proposed "millionaire tax" ballot question, blocking it from going before state voters in November and ending advocates' hopes for generating some $2 billion in additional revenue for education and...
-
Idaho Supreme Court upholds grocery tax veto
Tax Law 08/07/2017The Idaho Supreme Court on Tuesday upheld Gov. C.L. "Butch" Otter's contentious veto of legislation repealing the state's 6 percent sales tax on groceries.The high court's decision comes after 30 state lawmakers filed a lawsuit claiming Otter took to...
USCIS to Begin Accepting Applications under the International Entrepreneur Rule
U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) announced today it is taking steps to implement the International Entrepreneur Rule (IER), in accordance with a recent court decision.
Although the IER was published during the previous administration with an effective date of July 17, 2017, it did not take effect because the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) issued a final rule on July 11, 2017, delaying the IER’s effective date until March 14, 2018. This delay rule was meant to give USCIS time to review the IER and, if necessary, to issue a rule proposing to remove the IER program regulations.
However, a Dec. 1, 2017, ruling from the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia in National Venture Capital Association v. Duke vacated USCIS’ final rule to delay the effective date. The Dec. 1, 2017, court decision is a result of litigation filed in district court on Sept. 19, 2017, which challenged the delay rule.



